Fred Fleitz is the President and CEO of the Center for Security Policy. He served in 2018 as a Deputy Assistant to President Trump and Chief of Staff to National Security Adviser John Bolton. Before his White House position, Fleitz was Senior Vice President of the Center for Security Policy. He previously served in U.S. national security positions for 25 years with the CIA, DIA, the Department of State and the House Intelligence Committee staff.
Fleitz has extensive national security experience with the executive and legislative branches of government. Fleitz’s work for the CIA included serving as a political analyst, military analyst, WMD analyst and collection officer. He supported intelligence collection to defend against WMD attacks with the Armed Forces Medical Intelligence Center at Fort Detrick, Maryland and MASINT collection projects against WMD targets for CIA and DIA. Fleitz served for four years as Chief of Staff to John Bolton when he was Under Secretary of State for Arms Control. In this job, Fleitz was a U.S. delegate to several major international arms control conferences, including the International Atomic Energy Board of Governors, the UN General Assembly First Committee and the Biological Weapons Convention Review Conference. In his five years with the House Intelligence Committee staff, Fred was a senior aide to Chairman Peter Hoekstra and the committee’s expert on the Iranian and North Korean nuclear programs.
From 2011 to 2013, Fleitz was Director of the Langley Intelligence Group Network (LIGNET), a commercial intelligence analysis service owned by Newsmax.com.
Fleitz is the author of Peacekeeping Fiascoes of the 1990s (Praeger, 2002), The Coming North Korea Nuclear Nightmare: How Trump Must Reverse Obama’s Strategic Patience (2018), and Obamabomb: A Dangerous and Growing National Security Fraud (2016). He also edited books in 2016 on China, Warning Order: China Prepares for Conflict and Why We Must Do the Same and Russia, Putin’s Reset: The Bear is Back and How America Must Respond. Fleitz is currently working on books on intelligence reform and nuclear proliferation. Other publications are listed above in the “Books and Reports” tab.
Fleitz has appeared on many U.S. and international TV and radio programs, including on Fox News, Fox Business, MSNBC, CNBC, BBC, ITN, Sky News, Sky News Arabia, al-Hurra, i24 (Israel), Orient News (Syria), CGTN (China), TBS (Japan), CBC (Canada), CTV (Canada), Rudaw (Iraqi Kurd), The Blaze, One America News and others. Fred’s op-eds and articles have appeared in the Wall Street Journal, New York Post, National Review, Investor’s Business Daily, Jerusalem Post, Fox News Opinion, The Federalist, Washington Times, Townhall, the International Journal of Intelligence and Counterintellignce and other publications.
Fleitz’s work for the Center has focused on terrorism, radical Islam, the Middle East, the Iranian and North Korean nuclear programs, and intelligence reform. His current focus is on why a surge in anti-Semitism and anti-Israel sentiment on the Left in the United States is a threat to religious liberty and U.S. national security. He hosted a standing-room only panel on “Why Anti-Zionism is Anti-Semitism and a Threat to National Security” at CPAC 2019. Click HERE to watch. His articles on this topic include:
- Last Year, This Top Democrat Said Anti-Zionism Is Anti-Semitism. Now He’s Silent. Federalist, January 23, 2019
- Congresswoman Omar Must be Removed from the House Foreign Affairs Committee. Center for Security Policy, February 12, 2019
- Speaker Pelosi Delivers Strong Speech in Support of Israel at AIPAC Conference, But is Her Party Going in Another Direction? Center for Security Policy, March 28, 2019
Fleitz has been a leading voice in print and media interviews against the nuclear deal with Iran and helped expose secret side deals between Iran and the IAEA that allowed Iran to inspect itself for evidence of its past nuclear weapons-related activities. His book on the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, Obamabomb: A Dangerous and Growing National Security Fraud, was published in July 2016. A second edition was published in September 2016. Fleitz has written over 100 articles on the Iran nuclear issue since 2012. These include:
- Understanding the Surge in Tensions with Iran. National Review, May 9, 2019.
- Nine Months Later, Trump’s Iran Deal Withdrawal Is a Clear Success National Review, February 7, 2019
- President Trump: Ignore the Iran Deal ‘fixers’ and just kill it. The Hill, 1/11/18
- Trump was right to put the Iran nuclear deal on death row Fox News Opinion, 10/14/17
- The Iran Deal’s Backers Are Getting Desperate NRO, 9/13/17
- Nine Red Lines for a Nuclear Agreement with Iran (with Frank Gaffney) Jerusalem Post, July 7, 2015.
- Tear Up or Renegotiate the Obamabomb Nuclear Deal with Iran? (NRO, 7/15/16)
- First anniversary of Iran nuclear deal marred by massive cheating Fox News Opinion, 7/14/16
- What Kerry and Obama Tried to Keep from Congress and the Public: Iran Will Collect Its Own Samples for the IAEA NRO 7/24/15
- IAEA Tells Congressmen of Two Secret Side Deals to Iran Agreement That Won’t Be Shared with Congress NRO 7/22/15
Fleitz also has written extensively and given many media interviews on intelligence issues, NSA reform and electronic privacy. His work on these issues includes:
- Should Congress Provide Safe Harbor to Whistleblowers? International Journal of Intelligence and CounterIntelligence, Fall 2016.
- About Those 50 Centcom Whistleblowers — Where Are All the Others? (NRO, 9/29/15)
- NSA Data Collection: Necessary, or Unconstitutional? NRO, May 11, 2015
- Center for Security Policy press release: New Center Study Warns President Obama’s NSA Reforms Jeopardize National Security. January 27, 2014.
- A Critique of the Recommendations by the President’s Review Group on Intelligence and Communication Technologies. January 13, 2014.
- Time to Start Protecting Intelligence Whistleblowers.” Newsmax.com, Sept. 18, 2013.
Fleitz’s recent articles and op-eds can be found in the “Articles and Op-eds” tab at the top of this screen.
Fleitz holds a BA in Politics from St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia and an MA in Political Economy from Fordham University in New York. He and his wife Julie – who he met at the CIA – have been married for 28 years and live near Washington, DC.
Experts and Journalists Defend Fleitz after 2018 NSC Appointment
Like many who have agreed to serve their country with the Trump administration, Fleitz was subjected to unfair and false attacks in the mainstream press when he joined the National Security Council in May 2018. Several national security experts and journalists wrote articles disputing this criticism. These included:
- Obama Allies Scheme to Kneecap Trump’s New National Security Team by Adam Kredo. Washington Free Beacon, May 31, 2018.
- ZOA Troubled that ADL/Jonathan Greenblatt & J St. Condemn Fred Fleitz, A Great Pro-Israel NSC Appointment. ZOA press release, May 31, 2019.
- The Smearing of Fred Fleitz by Paul Mirengoff. PowerlineBlog, June 1, 2018
- Fleitz Appointment a Savvy Move by Trump, Bolton by Tom Anderson. Newsmax, June 1, 2018.
- Fred Fleitz, John Bolton recruit, in SPLC ‘smear campaign’ by Rowan Scarborough. Washington Times, June 3, 2018.
- Sorry Hyperventilating Lefties — Fred Fleitz Isn’t Anti-Muslim By Christian Whiton. Daily Caller, June 6, 2018.
- John Bolton and Fred Fleitz Are Defenders of Our National Interest by Raymond Tanter. Newsmax, June 8, 2018.
- Why Fred Fleitz is the right man for the deputy at National Security Council by William G. Boykin, Washington Times, June 13, 2018.
February 11, 2014, Las Vegas Committee on Foreign Relations: Forum on Iranian Nuclear Program
“We all are still thinking and talking about you. Both during and after the forum, I really enjoyed hearing your studied insights on Iran and other security issues — and your warm and fun way of interacting with me and the others in the audience . . . “
March 25, 2014, Birmingham Committee on Foreign Relations: The Snowden Leaks and American Privacy
“Last night was fabulous. Absolute A plus. We had over 80 people in attendance. All were complementary. One of our best and most timely talks.”
April 12, 2014, Reserve Officer Association of Michigan: Russian Military Power and Situation in Ukraine
“Once again thank you for taking the time to present to our organization last Saturday. The attendees were definitely interested and we all learned a few new things about Russia and some of things driving their leadership.”
April 15, 2014, Boise Committee on Foreign Relations: Situation in Syria
“Fred Fleitz could not have been more straight forward and charming in his presentation at the BCFR last evening. He also met with BSU Honors College students, so his short visit to Boise was very well received and appreciated.”
April 15, 2014, Boise State University: The Snowden Leaks and Foreign Policy Career Opportunities
April 16, 2014, University of Idaho: The Snowden Leaks and American Privacy
“We appreciated the effort you went to in contacting us and working through our various issues . . . My students indicated that they appreciated the combination of surety and nuance in different parts of your talk.”
April 21, 2014, Fairmont State University, Fairmont, WV: The Snowden Leaks and American Privacy
“Thank you so much for visiting with us on Monday. The folks at OSIX certainly appreciated the opportunity to meet with you, and we are very pleased with the turn-out we had for your presentation.”
May 20, 2014, Santa Barbara Committee on Foreign Relations/Channel City Club: The Snowden Leaks and American Privacy. Click HERE to read related press story.
May 30, 2014, Capitol Hill: The IAEA and Iran’s Continuing Nuclear Deception. Click HERE to watch.
October 29, 2014, Tampa Committee on Foreign Relations: Containing the Threat from ISIS.
“The response from our members was enthusiastic and appreciative. You covered a wide range of topics and did a terrific job handling the Q&A with short answers to allow more time for questions.”
November 11, 2014, Wichita Committee on Foreign Relations: Containing the Threat from ISIS
“I wish to thank you for your outstanding discussion with us on Tuesday. Your thoughts were well organized and thoughtfully analytical–clearly the long discussion that followed you prepared comments reflected the interest that you aroused among the group. I appreciated your bipartisan approach but showed your willingness to stick to your guns when challenged. There are, in fact, no easy solutions.”
November 19, 2014, Heritage Foundation panel on the Iran nuclear talks. Click HERE to watch.
November 20, 2014. Capitol Hill National Security Group Lunch: Fatally Flawed Negotiations with Iran — The WMD Perspective. Click HERE to watch.
January 29, 2015: Iran Truth Squad briefing on Capitol Hill. Click HERE to watch.
April 16, 2015, Heritage Foundation Panel: The Iran Nuclear Negotiations: Critical Issues. Click HERE to watch.
January 7, 2016, Capitol Hill National Security Group Lunch: Iran Deal Developments — The Road Ahead. Click HERE to watch.
July 13, 2016, EMET lecture on Capitol Hill on “Obamabomb” book and one-year anniversary of nuclear deal with Iran. Click HERE to watch
July 14, 2016, Heritage Foundation lecture on “Obamabomb” book and one-year anniversary of nuclear deal with Iran. Click HERE to watch.
February 21, 2017, Heritage Foundation Panel: “The Iran Nuclear Agreement: Current Status, Past Problems and Future Prospects.” Click HERE to watch.
April 22, 2017, Reserve Officer Association of Michigan, “The Russian Reset.”
October 17, 2017, ICON Lecture Series, Chapel Hill, NC, “Growing Threat From the North Korean and Iranian Nuclear Programs.”
“It was our great honor to host an event with you! We’ve been excited about it all year and of course, even more so as the last weeks played out. Thank you for your flexibility in your approach to the talk and for your time taking everyone’s questions.”
February 28, 2019, Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) panel: “Why Anti-Zionism is Anti-Semitism and a Threat to National Security.” Click HERE to watch.
March 1, 2019, Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) panel: “Why America First is Not America Alone.” Click HERE to watch.
March 24, 2019, Citizens for National Security, Boca Raton, FL, “The Iran Threat.”
“You hit a home run!”
March 29, 2019, Defense Forum Foundation, Washington, DC, “The Trump Doctrine: What to Expect from the administration’s foreign policy.”
“Thank you for giving DFF the honor of hosting you on Capitol Hill. It was the best summation and explanation of the Trump doctrine I’ve ever heard.”
May 2, 2019, Heritage Foundation, “Iran Policy: Nuclear and Terrorism Issues.” Click HERE to watch.